Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hungry, Hungry Hippo

I like being a woman. I like to feel my body cycle, like getting in tune with the different needs at different times of the cycle. But I don't like that my body thinks it needs 12 bagels a day when I'm at a certain point in that cycle.

For the past few days it's been extremely difficult to resist some urges to eat tons of carbs. And I must admit, I've lost more of those battles than I've won in the past few days.

In an effort to try to find out why this Hungry-Hippo phenomenon seems to happen, I checked out the Women's Health website and found this bit of information & advice:

Q: I'm dieting, but I get ravenous before my period. Do I really need more fuel at this time?
A: No. But indulging your cravings may make you feel better. Levels of serotonin (the brain chemical associated with feelings of contentedness and relaxation) are lower right before your period, and eating sweet and starchy carbs (like chocolate or oatmeal cookies) can bring them back up, easing moodiness and irritability. Don't deprive yourself -- just stick to one 150-calorie serving of your favorite treat per day.


Well, I reckon I've got some work to do-- 12 bagels* is not just a 150-calorie serving! But the good news is that, just as it does every month, this phase will pass soon, and in the week post-bloat, I'll feel much more trim and fit and ready to eat well again. Until then, carbs beware!





* just for the record, I haven't actually eaten 12 bagels. I might be exaggerating a bit. Call it artistic liberty.

No comments: