Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Words of Encouragement

It's a bit of a hectic week, so I haven't had time to write a post yet (though I've been thinking of them in my head!). So to tide you over until I get a chance to sit down and type, here's a recent email from my Dad giving some words of encouragement in response to some of my recent confessional posts about my struggles with making healthy eating decisions:

Carly--
When I was 21 years old and in undergrad school I weighed as much as 212 pounds. Some of that was due to being laid up with a bum knee, but I never got below 190 until, at age 33, I decided to stop looking like the Pilsbury Doughboy. I lost the weight the right way (gradually, and by developing good habits such as eating breakfast in the morning rather than late at night) and got down to about 165. I'm up a little from that now but not so much that I can't get back with minimal effort.
Since that time 25 years ago there has never ever ever ever been a time when I could permit myself to eat what I want whenever I want. It is to this day a constant battle, but one which I take pride in winning. It's become fun to say NO to temptations. When the doughnuts come out at work (and I work around lots of cops!) I decline and say something like "thanks, but I'd rather shoot some crack". You just have to learn to do and say little things like that to get around the urges.
I think you're doing great, and you look great as evidenced by the ski picture from last weekend! Love you, Dad


You know, I've always thought of my Dad as the paragon of fitness and good eating-- ever since I can remember, he's been relatively trim and fit, he makes it a priority to exercise several times a week, and he eats healthy but tasty foods (and has great taste in beer!) I never realized that this lifestyle that has always seemed natural for him didn't actually come naturally. He had to work at it, and still does. So this email really meant a lot to me, to know that he probably understands my struggles more than I previously thought.

How about you? What kinds of tricks do you have to resist temptations when they come about? Who are your role models in terms of health and fitness? What kinds of things can you learn from them about how they make exercise and fitness decisions?

A little food for thought...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very glad I discovered your blog today. Along with the extract from your fathers email, it has really helped.

On the third day of a (mostly) juice diet (mostly excluding the sandwich I ate this afternoon and the one I ate yesterday afternoon) cutting down has been a real struggle for me also.

Many wise words here.

Cheers.

Robyn said...

Here are a few of my healhty living mantras:

- Food is fuel.
- This is my one and only body. It is a miracle. Better treat it right.
- Exercise is a privilege. Be thankful you have the opportunity to do it.



Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly! You know me, I'm bad at resisting temptations of most kinds. Usually I try to do damage control and be good for a while after my slip-up. I don't have the self-control of you and your dad, but I've heard that it's healthy to allow small quantities of things you're craving so you don't end up binging on it when the desire builds up and up. ~Wendy