Friday, October 24, 2008

Lunch Break

It's Friday. No meetings. No deadlines. Brisk, sunny late October day. Perfect for a long lunch break. Say about a 2 hour break!

I hopped on my bike, rode a few miles over to the trailhead at the University, then headed up the switchbacks towards the "M," running every third switchback and hiking the others. Then I hit the service road and ran it out for a few miles as it parallels the valley bottom. Gorgeous views of town with the leaves all orange and yellow (actually they're fading and falling off already), and blue skies forming the backdrop for the golden grassy hillsides. Listening to Merle Haggard sing about my favorite state, thinking how nice it was to be so close to an open area and trails like that, so that I could "walk off my steady job" for a few hours and run on bare earth, as I'm tired of running in town on the "dirty old sidewalks."

It was about a 5-mile loop, then I biked back to work, showered, ate some soup for lunch, and now I'm trying to get back to work. It's one of those days where I "haven't got a thing to show for anything I've done," but I got a great workout and am happier than I was before. So that counts for something, right?!

Okay, back to the grindstone.

No comments: