Monday, October 6, 2008

Diva Day

Here's an email that I sent to Jenny last Wednesday:

"I just found out that a work-related event on Saturday that I thought was "optional" is decidedely NOT optional for me. I have to be in Potomac from 3-7pm. The hitch is that I promised Jim that I'd help him vaccinate cows in Ovando that afternoon after the race. There's no way I can do all three.

Given our concerns about the "Diva Day" race (e.g. congestion, stupid name, etc.), plus my scheduling difficulties, I was wondering if you'd consider an alternate race to do in a few weeks. Then I could do cows in the morning and work in the afternoon. Here are some upcoming races:

Sunday, Oct 12:
Goat Pursuit
9 AM
Mt. Helena Ridge Run, 6.6 miles point to point time-trial format. The trolley shuttle will leave the Helena Public Library at 8 am to carry runners to the top.
"The course starts with switchbacks up to the Helena Ridge, the rest of the course is primarily downhill on moderately technical singletrack, finishing at Dump Gulch Trailhead. This race is run as a time trial format - a runner will start every 30 seoconds, starting with the slowest runner. If this is your first race in the series, please send a recent 10k or 12k time."

Saturday, Oct 18:

(NOTE: I THINK this will work-- I have a wedding to go to later in the day, but I think I could make the race and then get to the wedding. But I'll have to double-check)
Pumpkin Run • Missoula

400 meter kids run & 5K, Proceeds benefit the Missoula Food Bank. 400 meter kids run (12 years old and under) at 9:45 am and 5K race at 10 am. Cost is $3 for the 400 meter run and $8 for the 5 kilometer race. Race is located at Maclay Flats on Trails in the Lolo National Forest.

Sunday, Oct 19:
Marshall Mountain Scramble
--Choose Your Challenge, Pick Your Pain! • Missoula,

11:00 am start, race day registration/packet pick-up starting at 9:30 am at the Marshall Mountain Lodge. Choose your course to the top of Marshall Mountain (2000' gain)--0.75 miles up the lift line? 3.2 miles around the access road? Something in between? Then cruise the access road down to the finish. Prizes for fastest guy and girl, as well as door prizes and best costume! $20 entry fee before October 13 guarantees you a long sleeve shirt; after that you take your chances.

OR

"Goat Grind" at the Elkhorn Endurance Retreat... Helena South Hills Trail Series • Race #4 - 10AM One series champion referred to this course as a "meatgrinder." It has steep hills, a creek crossing, and some technical singletrack. Race is followed by a pancake brunch and awards ceremony.

Whaddya think?"


Uh, so she laughed at me for even suggesting all but the Pumpkin Run. But I think the others sound pretty fun, too. Different challenges than your standard road race. Plus, it's getting to be pretty slim pickings finding a race anywhere in the Northern Rockies this time of year. (I have no idea why...) ;)

So, no, I didn't end up doing the 5k for "Diva Day." Which is okay by me, given that the t-shirts were kinda dorky... and that I got to spend the morning riding my horse and working cows with Jim, and the afternoon worked at a landowner's BBQ learning about conservation/land management tactics for ranchers & rural landowners.

But Jenny & Liz ended up running, and Jenny came in close to her goal time (really close, considering she was doing tequila shots the night before!)

I'll keep you posted if we do any of the runs...

No comments: